Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Let's not recognize marriage, then

A Marriage Manifesto... Of Sorts | RD Blog: The Devil's Advocate | ReligionDispatches

Tom Ackerman at Religion Dispatches makes a modest proposal-if the majority won't recognize same-sex marriage, why should they recognize other people's marriages?

I no longer recognize marriage. It’s a new thing I’m trying.

Turns out it’s fun.

Yesterday I called a woman’s spouse her boyfriend.

She says, correcting me, “He’s my husband,”
“Oh,” I say, “I no longer recognize marriage.”

The impact is obvious. I tried it on a man who has been in a relationship for years,

“How’s your longtime companion, Jill?”
“She’s my wife!”
“Yeah, well, my beliefs don’t recognize marriage.”

Fun. And instant, eyebrow-raising recognition. Suddenly the majority gets to feel what the minority feels. In a moment they feel what it’s like to have their relationship downgraded, and to have a much taken-for-granted right called into question because of another’s beliefs.

It's a very subversive tactic, and maybe an effective one. For those people (like me) who do have a traditional marriage, it's also something to think about. How would you feel if one day, your relationship was suddenly dismissed as unimportant?


Thanks to Sabrina Pandora for the link.

2 comments:

  1. OMG, I freaking love that idea. There is nothing better than making people see what the other side is like by twisting the situation into a comparison which they can personally understand and feel the impact of. The only thing that disappoints me about that is the fact that I did not think of it myself (I must be slacking, lol.)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! But I do moderate them, so if your comment doesn't show up immediately-I'll get to it soon.