Sunday, November 21, 2010

What's been going on

Not as much as I'd hoped, I'm afraid. Busy with life, but not really getting out lately. I went to the GEAR mixer a couple of weeks ago; it's their monthly meeting and I had not been there in a while. It's at The Bronx in the gayborhood, which is always a nice place to go to. Unfortunately the turnout was a bit light-about ten people, and there really wasn't a meeting as such. I did get to chat with some people I didn't know, and afterward was introduced to Red Mango yogurt. It's like Pinkberry but I think it tastes better. A very short evening...

The Dallas Fetish Ball at The Church was a week ago. And as always, it's a mixed bag. I did find out that if you show up early-like when the doors open-you have a few hours before the place gets so crowded you can't see anything or move around. Between 10:30 PM-12:30 AM it's so packed you just kind of flow with the traffic inside. You'll be able to talk to people, see the outfits and enjoy things. I hate the fact that the "dress code" is very loosely interpreted. They don't bother to enforce it, so the crowd ends up with a mix of people who actually make an effort and the jeans/trainers/polo shirt crowd who look out of place. And to me it affects the whole mood.

I did meet some new people, which was great. But a friend had a bad experience at a nearby hotel. She'd parked in the garage and came back late Friday night-and was harassed by some homophobes. Fortunately she wasn't alone, but it was her first experience with being in real physical danger. I can totally understand how she felt, but I also think that you have to remember that when you are dressed en femme you need to think like a woman and take the same kinds of precautions.

1 comment:

  1. I like the topics you write about in your blog. Serious stuff really, but far too often shrugged off too easily.

    I just wanted to say that I've been couple of situations like your friend had. It's easy for me to lose them and hold my own, but I've got friends to whom it's not. And I hate that they can't feel safe. That they are hiding because of jerks like those guys. That there are dumb asses who feel the need to try to harass people who are different from them. God, it just makes my blood boil when I see situations like that...

    And I agree with you it doesn't matter what you wear haters will still be there.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! But I do moderate them, so if your comment doesn't show up immediately-I'll get to it soon.